It is highly entertaining for us to watch a movie. After watching the movie, we also get interested in making comments on that movie. Most of us love writing our comments on different online platforms. However, what would you do when someone has asked you to write a movie review? Movie review writing is one of the common academic assignments in several educational institutions. Although you think it to be a very easy task, you have to know the rules and format to compose this paper. Movie review writing is not simply about revealing what you have watched on a screen. The review is something more than that.
Let us now see how to write a movie review to amaze the readers.
Watch the chosen film more than once
By watching the film several times, you will be easily able to identify all the minor and major characters and events. Although you have a strong memory, you have a chance of overlooking a few parts of the movie.
Do detailed research
After watching the film, you have to research it thoroughly. You have to focus on the details of the movie. You may find out the filmmaker’s name. Find out the motivation of the filmmaker for creating the movie. It is also essential to identify the plot, location, characterization, and historical events, related to the film.
Thus, you have to gather several details with continuous research. You can see these details on IMDB.
Start assessing the movie
While you are not sure of the major content or theme of the movie, we will not ask you to work on the review. You have to analyze the film thoroughly. You can watch the film several times, and the confusing parts will become clear to you.
Create an outline
You have to develop an outline to follow it while writing the review. Thus, create a very consistent and concise outline of the movie. You should mention the strengths and weaknesses of the characters. You may talk about bad or good casting, affecting the quality of the film. While commenting on the locations, dialogues, and plot, you have to present the evidence. Do not criticize or praise the movie without revealing the right reason.
Comment on the quality and originality of the movie scenes
You have to find out the uniqueness of the film. You may write about the approach, taken by the moviemaker to create the film.
Every film review comprises the following elements:
- Film title. Although the headline includes the film name, you must also include it in other sections, like the introduction.
- Summary. You are going to write the film review for summarizing the film for those, who have not watched it. Thus, the summary has to be highly effective. While it is a movie review for academic purposes, you have to assume the fact that your teacher has not watched the movie. As one of the review writers, you must reveal everything about the film.
- Actors. You must not overlook the casting. You have to make out whether the actors in the film are realistic. You may judge how the filmmaker has portrayed the actors. You can talk about their role and their acting skills. You must also make out whether the actors fit for their role.
- Creative components. The filmmakers take various approaches for adding creative and innovative elements to their movies. You have to find out the importance and relevance of those elements. For instance, the costumes may affect the quality or standard of the film. The presence of vivid colors is another factor, to be included in the review. Good audio effects give a cool sensation to the viewers. The angles and movements of the camera are also relevant to you.
Mistakes that you must avoid
You are thinking of how to write a movie review without any mistake. We have found out the common mistakes of the students.
- No focus on the chosen film
- No analysis of the background of the film
- Absence of any structure of your film review
- No analysis of the file to create its review
Thus, we have created a brief guide on how to write a movie review. You may also approach professional writers to compose the best film review for any purpose.